FAQs for Groups

Who is covered?

The Hiscox Liability policy is designed specifically to meet the needs of the RDA, its affiliated Groups, Trustees, Volunteers and Coaches/Instructors.

^ back to top

Are there any policy excesses?

Yes, a £250 excess applies to any third party property damage claim.

^ back to top

What Insurance cover is provided to RDA Groups?

The liability insurance includes cover for:

  • Public & Products Liability - accicdental bodily injury to third parties and or damage to third party property
  • Professional indemnity - losses arising out of errors and ommissions
  • Libel & Slander - including defamation
  • Abuse - protection for damages awarded against the group
  • Legal defence costs
  • Employers Liability - for damages and legal costs arising from death or injury caused to employees/volunteers
  • Trustees indemnity - personal protection for trustees in respect of claims made against them relating to the management of the group
  • Legal Expenses & helpline - provided by Arag plc, please refer to the Legal Expenses summary for details of the cover

^ back to top

The Groups employees and volunteers are included on the Liability policy, why do we need Employers’ Liability as well?

If you have Liability Insurance the Group are insured for liability incurred by the employees and volunteers following their negligent acts. Employers Liability provides protection to the Group as an 'employer', in the event any of the volunteers or employees are injured during their duties and sues your Group for negligence.

^ back to top

We only have unpaid volunteers, why do we need Employers’ Liability Insurance?

Under British Law you can still be called an employee even if you are not paid. Since 1st April 2013 Employers Liability cover is provided to all RDA Groups.

^ back to top

How do we obtain our Insurance Certificate?

Insurance certificates are issued to the Group contacts April each year, providing the Group membership fee and insurance premium has been recieved by the RDA National Office.

^ back to top

Are Groups insured for exercising horse and ponies outside RDA approved locations?

The exercising of RDA horses and ponies outside the approved location, by non-disabled riders is only insured under the RDA insurance scheme when certain conditions are met. More information...

^ back to top

Are Group fundraising activities covered?

‘Low risk’ fundraising events are covered by the Hiscox Liability policy. Examples include coffee mornings, bring & buy sales, sponsored singing, BBQ's etc.

Please do ensure any fundraising event is thoroughly risk assessed prior to the event taking place. Records must be kept.
Please note the Insurances do not extend to events involving able bodied pony rides. Separate cover can be purchased for an additional cost direct from Howden. Please contact Howden on 0121 698 8160 or by email rda@howdengroup.com for a quote.

^ back to top

Are able bodied pony rides covered?

No. Fundraising pony rides involving able bodied riders are not covered by the RDA Insurances. Additional insurance can be obtained by contacting Howden on 0121 698 8160 or by email rda@howdengroup.com

^ back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply to the Liability policy?

  • Criminal acts
  • Abuse - the person accused of the abuse / alleged to be the abuser
  • Incidents known to you but not reported to Insurers
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Loss of, or damage to property in your custody or control
  • Able bodied events/rides (only exception to this is the exercising of ponies)

For full details of the policy exclusions please refer to the Policy Wording.

^ back to top

Does the cover include any legal expenses?

The Hiscox Liability policy provides the legal costs and expenses in connection with defending you for claims where either injury or damage to property is alleged.

Please note groups also have access to a Legal Expenses policy and free legal helpline through ARAG plc, the legal advice line is : 0344 571 7978

^ back to top

Does the policy cover anyone who is not a UK resident?

No. An Instructor must be a full-time UK resident, RDA Groups must be located in the UK.

^ back to top

As a group are we insured to deliver sensory activities?

Yes, this is a recognised activity of RDA. Please ensure the activity is appropriately risk assessed in advance.

^ back to top

As a group are we insured to hold open days at our location?

Yes, this is a recognised activity of RDA. Please ensure the activities planned are recognised by RDA,  examples includes, raffles, supply of refreshments, petting/ brushing the ponies, craft etc…

^ back to top

As a Group we have a mechanical horse at our location, are we covered?

The Liability cover includes the use of a mechanical horse as part of your RDA approved activities. An RDA volunteer / instructor who is deemed to be a competent rider would be insured for using the mechanical horse as part of a training session.

Please note however that your group is not insured to rent out the mechanical horse for non-disabled riding lessons.

Please also note that the RDA cover does not include insuring the mechanical horse itself from a damage / theft perspective, this can be arranged separately by calling Howden on 0121 698 8160.

^ back to top